Korean Fried Broccoli
6 cups broccoli florets
3/4 cup cornflour
1 1/4 tspn baking powder
2 tblspns panko crumbs
1 tspn salt
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup ice cold soda water
1/2 cup ice cold vodka
1/4 cup thinly sliced spring onions
1 tblspn toasted sesame seeds
1 tblspn minced garlic
2 tspns minced ginger
2 tblspns + 2 tspns soy sauce
1/4 cup Korean chilli paste
2 tblspns black rice vinegar
2 tblspns +1 tspn sesame oil
2 tspns brown sugar
Preparation time: 1 hour
Smoke the broccoli either using a smoker, or constructing one from tin foil as follows:
- line a square baking pan with the foil
- add 2 cups hickory chips to the bottom
- place over burners on high heat
- cover with tinfoil like lid
- once smoke starts to curl out from under the lid, put a tray or rack over the chips and place broccoli on it
- re-cover the pan and let it sit on high until smoke comes out from under the lid again
- remove broccoli
Toss the smoked broccoli in 1/4 cup of the corn flour, then shake off the excess powder.
Mix the remaining corn flour, baking powder, panko, salt and flour together. Add vodka and soda water to the mixture. Roll the broccoli in the wet batter.
Deep fry the broccoli in batches until golden. Set on paper towels to drain.
For the sauce, mix together all sauce ingredients in a big bowl.
Toss the fried smoked broccoli in the sauce. Remove, sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onions, and serve.